James Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) | 2 Very Large Vaseline-glass “Jelly” Lampshades | Available to Buy Separately
£595.00 – £795.00
A pair of similar and impressively large straw vaseline-glass “jelly” pendant lampshades of differing sizes. The glass attributed to James Powell & Sons of Whitefriars, London and hung with an original antique brass flex spacer and replacement ceiling rose. England c.1900
N.B Available to buy as a pair or individually
LG496, Large Vaseline Jelly Lampshade (globular spacer) : W.25cm/10in, Ht.(shade)15/6, Ht.(as displayed, reducible)75/30
LG500, Monumental Vaseline Jelly Lampshade (pierced spacer) : W.37cm/14.5in, Ht.(shade)19/7.5, Ht.(as displayed,reducible)74/29
Whitefriars Glass Company, London
James Powell & Sons/ Harry Powell
- In 1834 James Powell, then a 60-year-old London wine merchant and entrepreneur, purchased the Whitefriars Glass Company, a small glass-works off Fleet Street in London.
- Powell, and his sons Arthur and Nathanael, were newcomers to glass making, but soon acquired the necessary expertise and specialised in making church stain glass windows.
- When Harry Powell “Grandson of James” took over as Manager in 1876, James Crofts Powell, his cousin, ran the important stained glass department using in-house designers and famous artists like Burne-Jones for important commissions.
- From 1875 Harry Powell had a blacksmith called Edminstone with a boy called Edmund Francis employed to make wrought iron lighting fixtures, which again used his fabulous shades. He supplied many other makers with various shade shapes.
- During the latter part of the c.19th, the firm formed a close association with leading architects and designers. Whitefriars produced the glass that Phillip Webb used in his designs for William Morris
- By 1900 production lines of vaseline and opalescent glass-ware, including lampshades, were proving to be extremely successful with clients such as William Arthur Smith Benson using their glass in the design of their lights.
- The firm’s name was changed to Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd in 1919