Birmingham Guild of Handicraft | Oxidised-Copper Arts & Crafts Lantern | England c.1905
A large oxidised-copper lantern of variable patination in the style of Birmingham Guild of Handicraft, the glass cylinder with diamond-patterned optic.
Ht.(lantern)59cm/23in, W.(max) 28/11, Diam(glass) 17/7
The Birmingham Guild of Handicraft 1888-1905
Birmingham Guild of Handicraft was an Arts & Crafts organisation. Its motto was ‘By Hammer and Hand’.
Around 1888 It began as a loose part of the Birmingham Kyrle Society, then became a more fully formed group within the Kyrle Society in 1890
In 1895, the Guild set up as an independent workshop and limited company with the guidance of Edward R. Taylor.
The Guild produced furniture and metal-ware, taking special advantage of the switch to electric lighting and the consequent need for new light fittings.
Arthur Dixon was the chief designer and head of metalwork workshop. Other members were Albert Edward Jones and Thomas Birkett.
Due to commercial pressures, there was a merger with E & R Gittins in 1905