Attributed F & C Osler | 2 Monumental Neo-Classical Twin-Arm Wall Lights | England c.1900
A large pair of brass twin-arm wall lights in neo-classical taste designed with acanthus attributed to Osler & Co. each arm supporting pendant a cut-glass knopped lampshade. England c.1900
Width 46cm/18ins; ht.at backplate 58.5/23; depth 26.5/10.
F & C Osler, Birmingham & London
- The company Osler was established in Birmingham, 1807 by Thomas Osler
- The business really began functioning in 1831 when his sons Abraham Follett & Thomas Clarkson took over and the company.
- Specialising in crystal glass chandeliers they opened a showroom filled with the best stock on Oxford Street.
- In the latter half of the 19th century Osler found success in India due to the countries wealth and efficient shipping links.
- The name F & C Osler was first recognised on 14th July 1906 when the children and grandchildren of Follett and Clarkson became the first directors.
- From 1911 the demand for simple clean pieces of glass was lost, however the demand for light fittings made entirely of metal was flourishing.
- This coincided nicely with the opportunity to acquire a lighting company named Faraday & Son Ltd in 1919 and the company became Osler & Faraday Ltd.