The General Electric Company (G.E.C) | 2 Cast-Brass Wall Lights | England Early c.20th
A pair of G.E.C. cast-brass wall lights, manufacturer’s marks, each with a pendant cranberry-glass lampshade. England, early c.20th
Provenance: See catalogue photos ANNESLEY 1905 F.3831 & 1922 F.1881
Ht.20cm/8ins; depth 28/11ins.
The General Electric Company (G.E.C)
GEC had its origins in the G. Binswanger and Company, an electrical goods wholesaler established in London in the 1880s by a German-Jewish immigrant, Gustav Binswanger
1887 the company published the first electrical catalogue of its kind. The following year, the company acquired its first factory in Salford, where electric bells, telephones, ceiling roses and switches were manufactured.
In 1889 the company was expanding rapidly, opening new branches and factories and trading in ‘everything electrical’, a phrase that was to become synonymous with GEC.
In 1902, its first purpose-built factory, the Witton Engineering Works, was opened near Birmingham.
The company expanded both at home and overseas, with the establishment of agencies in Europe, Japan, Australia, South Africa, and India. It also did substantial trade with South America.