The Holophane Company | 3 Small “Satellite” Lanterns | U.S.A c.1900
A collection of 3 small “satellite” lanterns signed by The Holophane Company, U.S.A in “Blondel & Stiletto” prism . Each lantern with their original brass gallery, clips and bottom glass plate. Replacement brass ceiling hook for suspension. U.S.A c.1900
N.B: Please note 1 bottom glass plate different and unsigned from other 2 bottom plates (see picture)
Ht.(as displayed)88cm/34.5in, Ht.(lantern)22/8.5, W.22/8.5
The Holophane Company, U.K, U.S.A & France
- In 1893, André Blondel invents the prismatic glass molding, on the principle of the Fresnel lens. The invention is patented under the name “Holophane” whose Greek roots mean “harmonious distribution of light”.
- In 1898, Otis Mygatt, an American businessman, buys the patent and creates two companies on each side of the Atlantic for the production and sale of Holophane products.
- Holophane Glass Co. (USA): manufacturing / sales, and Holophane Limited (UK)
- The year 1920 sees the birth of “Holophane SA” in France. The English company (Holophane Limited) joins forces with a French industrialist to create a production site and installs glassware in Les Andelys. Holophane SA is born.