2 Large Arts & Crafts Hall Pendants | With Glass Point | England c.1900
A collection of 3 large arts and crafts hall lanterns each with large and rare globular vaseline-glass lampshade attributed to John Walsh Walsh (1 as found). The hand-crafted and beaten copper galleries in the style of and possibly by Jesson Birkett & Co (Faulkner Bronze co.) Each lantern hangs pendant with an original period flex spacer and replacement ceiling rose for suspension.
N.B: Available to buy as a pair (shades maintain their glass point) and single (shade missing glass point and replaced with brass finial, see final photos)
Ht.(as displayed)92cm/36in, Ht.(shade & Gal.)28/11, Ht.(shade)20/8, W.14/5.5
Faulkner Bronze Company/ Jesson, Birkett & Co. Ltd
The Faulkner Bronze Company was formed in 1901 by the Directors, Fred. G. Faulkner, Thomas Birkett and Arthur. G. Jesson based in Tenby Street, Birmingham.
The firm produced light fittings, copper wares and Loetz style glass wares enclosed in copper under the “Cobral Ware” mark, a process they patented in 1901.
Thomas Birkett was a former member of the Birmingham Guild of handicraft and he was joined at Faulkner Bronze Company by other former Guildsmen, John Webster and A. E. Williams.
Also at Faulkner Bronze was Spencer Humphrey, known for his repousse work, and designers, Bert Harvey and Anne Grisdale Stubbs. Anne was a star pupil and gold medallist at the Birmingham School of Art. She later married Thomas Birkett.
The firm only lasted for a few years and was reconstituted as Jesson, Birkett & Co Ltd in 1904 when Fred Faulkner retired.
The firm continued to make the most exquisite copper and mixed metal inkwells, cigarette boxes and light fittings, often using older Richard Llewellyn Rathbone designs.
Anne G. Stubbs was clearly a key designer for the firm and her work was often illustrated in The Studio.
The firm tended to use either enamels or Ruskin Pottery roundels for decoration.
The firm wound up in 1910 and Thomas Birkett went on to work for Simplex Conduits Ltd in Birmingham.
Stourbridge Glass, Birmingham
Thomas Webb & Sons, Henry G. Richardson & Sons, Stevens & Williams, John Walsh Walsh
- The industry was established at the beginning of the 17th century by glass-makers from Lorraine in north-eastern France
- The industry grew and evolved for the next 275 years and glass from Wordsley, Amblecote and Brierley Hill is recognised as amongst the finest in the world
- Birmingham Lighting designers such as Best & Lloyd, Faraday & Sons, Osler & Co, James Hinks & Son and Messenger & Sons employ the Stourbridge factories to produce the glass-ware for their lights.
- Mostly it is impossible to say which firm produced a particular lampshade but some patterns were registered/catalogued and can therefore occasionally be attributed.