James Powell & Sons, Whitefriars | Arts & Crafts Lantern | England c.1905
A large rare flint-glass arts and crafts pendant lampshade by James Powell & Sons, Birmingham. Displayed with the original copper gallery, brass chain and arts and crafts “lily-pad” ceiling rose for suspension. England c1900
Ref: W.A.S Benson, Ian Hamerton, P.142, Plate 120 matching James Powell design flint -glass lampshade in W.A.S Benson light.
Ht.(as displayed)74cm/31in, Ht.(shade & fit)36/14, Ht.(shade023/9, W.13/5
Whitefriars Glass Company, London
James Powell & Sons
In 1834 James Powell, then a 60-year-old London wine merchant and entrepreneur, purchased the Whitefriars Glass Company, a small glass-works off Fleet Street in London.
Powell, and his sons Arthur and Nathanael, were newcomers to glass making, but soon acquired the necessary expertise and specialised in making church stain glass windows.
During the latter part of the c.19th, the firm formed a close association with leading architects and designers. Whitefriars produced the glass that Phillip Webb used in his designs for William Morris
By 1900 production lines of vaseline and opalescent glass-ware, including lampshades, were proving to be extremely successful with clients such as William Arthur Smith Benson using their glass in the design of their lights.
The firm’s name was changed to Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd in 1919