Shop

Birmingham Guild of Handicraft | Copper Arts & Crafts Ceiling Light | England c.1900

Birmingham Guild of Handicraft | Copper Arts & Crafts ceiling light with satin glass lampshades | England c.1900

 The Birmingham Guild of Handicraft 1888-1905

  • Birmingham Guild of Handicraft was an Arts & Crafts organisation. Its motto was ‘By Hammer and Hand’.

  • Around 1888 It began as a loose part of the Birmingham Kyrle Society, then became a more fully formed group within the Kyrle Society in 1890

  • In 1895, the Guild set up as an independent workshop and limited company with the guidance of Edward R. Taylor.

  • The Guild produced furniture and metal-ware, taking special advantage of the switch to electric lighting and the consequent need for new light fittings.

  • Arthur Dixon was the chief designer and head of metalwork workshop. Other members were Albert Edward Jones and Thomas Birkett.

  • Due to commercial pressures, there was a merger with E & R Gittins in 1905

Stourbridge Glass, Birmingham

Thomas Webb & Sons, Henry G. Richardson & Sons,  Stevens & Williams, John Walsh Walsh

  • The industry was established at the beginning of the 17th century by glass-makers from Lorraine in north-eastern France

  • The industry grew and evolved for the next 275 years and glass from Wordsley, Amblecote and Brierley Hill is recognised as amongst the finest in the world

  • Birmingham Lighting designers such as Best & Lloyd, Faraday & Sons, Osler & Co, James Hinks & Son and Messenger & Sons employ the Stourbridge factories to produce the glass-ware for their lights.

  • Mostly it is impossible to say which firm produced a particular lampshade but some patterns were registered/catalogued and can therefore occasionally be attributed.

Product Code: JAL969 Category: Tag:
Share