The Birmingham Guild of Handicraft | 4 Arts & Crafts Wall Lights | England c.1900
A set of 4 silver-pated twin-arm wall lights signed by The Birmingham Guild of Handicraft with original Powell vaseline lampshades. England c.1900
The Birmingham Guild of Handicraft 1888-1905
- Birmingham Guild of Handicraft was an Arts & Crafts organisation. Its motto was ‘By Hammer and Hand’.
- Around 1888 It began as a loose part of the Birmingham Kyrle Society, then became a more fully formed group within the Kyrle Society in 1890
- In 1895, the Guild set up as an independent workshop and limited company with the guidance of Edward R. Taylor.
- The Guild produced furniture and metal-ware, taking special advantage of the switch to electric lighting and the consequent need for new light fittings.
- Arthur Dixon was the chief designer and head of metalwork workshop. Other members were Albert Edward Jones and Thomas Birkett.
- Due to commercial pressures, there was a merger with E & R Gittins in 1905