The General Electric Company (G.E.C) | 3 Ensuite Art Nouveau Wall Lights | England c.1905
A set of 3 ensuite cast brass wall lights, comprising of 2 x single-arm and 1 x twin-arm fittings designed and signed by the General Electric Company. Each arm supporting pendant a frosted and engraved lampshade designed with stylised roses in the manner of The Glasgow School. England c.1905
Provenance: See Catalogue photos 1905 Amherst F3845 & Blantyre F.4021
2 x single arm: Ht.40cm/15.5in (adjustable), Dpth.24/9.5, Max Wdth.10/4
1 x twin-arm: Ht.38/15, Dpth.22/8.5, W.27/10.5
The General Electric Company (G.E.C)
GEC had its origins in the G. Binswanger and Company, an electrical goods wholesaler established in London in the 1880s by a German-Jewish immigrant, Gustav Binswanger
1887 the company published the first electrical catalogue of its kind. The following year, the company acquired its first factory in Salford, where electric bells, telephones, ceiling roses and switches were manufactured.
In 1889 the company was expanding rapidly, opening new branches and factories and trading in ‘everything electrical’, a phrase that was to become synonymous with GEC.
In 1902, its first purpose-built factory, the Witton Engineering Works, was opened near Birmingham.
The company expanded both at home and overseas, with the establishment of agencies in Europe, Japan, Australia, South Africa, and India. It also did substantial trade with South America.