The Holophane Company | 4 Optic-Glass Pendant Lampshades | England c.1900
A set of four Holophane-optic pendant lampshades with original brass galleries. All glass lampshades & galleries signed “Holophane” with Pat. no.20222 for 1892 (lampshades) & No.28498(galleries) for 1896. England c.1900
Ht.(as displayed) 81cm/32in, Ht.(shade & fit.)18/7, W.(shade)18/7
The Holophane Company, U.K, U.S.A & France
- In 1893, André Blondel invents the prismatic glass molding, on the principle of the Fresnel lens. The invention is patented under the name “Holophane” whose Greek roots mean “harmonious distribution of light”.
- In 1898, Otis Mygatt, an American businessman, buys the patent and creates two companies on each side of the Atlantic for the production and sale of Holophane products.
- Holophane Glass Co. (USA): manufacturing / sales, and Holophane Limited (UK)
- The year 1920 sees the birth of “Holophane SA” in France. The English company (Holophane Limited) joins forces with a French industrialist to create a production site and installs glassware in Les Andelys. Holophane SA is born.