The Holophane Company | Optic-glass Pendant Lampshade | England 1896
A Holophane Company optic-glass lampshade with original brass gallery. Both shade and gallery signed Holophane with PAT no. 20222 for 1892 and 28498 for 1896.
Ht.(as displayed)91cm/36in, Ht.(shade & gallery)20/8, W.24/9.5
The Holophane Company, U.K, U.S.A & France
- In 1893, André Blondel invents the prismatic glass molding, on the principle of the Fresnel lens. The invention is patented under the name “Holophane” whose Greek roots mean “harmonious distribution of light”.
- In 1898, Otis Mygatt, an American businessman, buys the patent and creates two companies on each side of the Atlantic for the production and sale of Holophane products.
- Holophane Glass Co. (USA): manufacturing / sales, and Holophane Limited (UK)
- The year 1920 sees the birth of “Holophane SA” in France. The English company (Holophane Limited) joins forces with a French industrialist to create a production site and installs glassware in Les Andelys. Holophane SA is born.