The Holophane Company | Optic-Glass Pendant Light | Early c.20th
A Holophane Company optic-glass lampshade with original brass gallery and period chain. The gallery signed Pat.no.28498 the lampshade apparently unsigned. Early c.20th
W.23cm/9in, Ht.(incl.gallery)24/9.5, Ht.(as displayed)43/17
The Holophane Company, U.K, U.S.A & France
In 1893, André Blondel invents the prismatic glass molding, on the principle of the Fresnel lens. The invention is patented under the name “Holophane” whose Greek roots mean “harmonious distribution of light”.
In 1898, Otis Mygatt, an American businessman, buys the patent and creates two companies on each side of the Atlantic for the production and sale of Holophane products.
Holophane Glass Co. (USA): manufacturing / sales, and Holophane Limited (UK)
The year 1920 sees the birth of “Holophane SA” in France. The English company (Holophane Limited) joins forces with a French industrialist to create a production site and installs glassware in Les Andelys. Holophane SA is born.