Verreries Charles Schneider | Wrought-Iron Art Deco Chandelier | France c.1925
An art deco wrought iron hanging lamp the metalwork designed with horse chestnut leaves and conkers, the deeply moulded glass with an abstract design and signed in the mould “Schneider”. France c1925
Ht.80cm/32in, W 65/25.5in
(As Found: chip to rim of plafonnier but not seen in situ, see photo)
Verreries Schneider (Le verre Français), Epinay-sur-Seine 1913
Charles Schneider was born in Chateau-Thierry, near Paris, on 23rd February 1881.
His brother, Ernest Schneider (1877-1937), started working for Daum in 1903 as clerk. Charles had started an artistic career and was already active at Daum since 1898.
In 1913, the brothers decided to start their own business and bought a small glass factory in association with a friend Henri Wolf, at Epinay-sur-Seine.
In 1918, fire destroyed the studios at Galle and a group of artists went to Schneider’s.
Early Cameo glass in art Nouveau style is signed “Le Verre Francais” and “Charder” pseudonym for Charles Schneider
Pate-de-verre and art deco glass is signed simply “Schneider”