Shop

Birmingham Guild of Handicraft | Five-Branch Arts & Crafts Chandelier | England c.1905

£3,495.00

An arts and crafts copper and brass five-branch chandelier attributed to the Birmingham Guild of handicrafts. Each arm supporting pendant an attractive reproduction vaseline-glass lampshade. England C.1905

Ht. 71cm/28in, Diam.68/27

 

The Birmingham Guild of Handicraft 1888-1905

  • Birmingham Guild of Handicraft was an Arts & Crafts organisation. Its motto was ‘By Hammer and Hand’.

  • Around 1888 It began as a loose part of the Birmingham Kyrle Society, then became a more fully formed group within the Kyrle Society in 1890

  • In 1895, the Guild set up as an independent workshop and limited company with the guidance of Edward R. Taylor.

  • The Guild produced furniture and metal-ware, taking special advantage of the switch to electric lighting and the consequent need for new light fittings.

  • Arthur Dixon was the chief designer and head of metalwork workshop. Other members were Albert Edward Jones and Thomas Birkett.

  • Due to commercial pressures, there was a merger with E & R Gittins in 1905

 

Share