Attributed Jesson, Birkett & Co | Copper Arts & Crafts Hanging Lamp | England & U.S.A

A small hammered and oxidised-brass arts and crafts hanging lamp attributed to Jesson Birkett & Co, each arm supporting pendant an iridescent glass “lilypad” lampshade applied with trailing glass threads. One shade signed Quezal. U.S.A. and England, c. 1905.

Click Here for Video of Light

Ht.56cm/22ins; w.51/20.

Faulkner Bronze Company/ Jesson, Birkett & Co. Ltd

1901-1910

  • The Faulkner Bronze Company was formed in 1901 by the Directors, Fred. G. Faulkner, Thomas Birkett and Arthur. G. Jesson based in Tenby Street, Birmingham. 

  • The firm produced light fittings, copper wares and Loetz style glass wares enclosed in copper under the “Cobral Ware” mark, a process they patented in 1901.

  • Thomas Birkett was a former member of the Birmingham Guild of handicraft and he was joined at Faulkner Bronze Company by other former Guildsmen, John Webster and A. E. Williams.

  • Also at Faulkner Bronze was Spencer Humphrey, known for his repousse work, and designers, Bert Harvey and Anne Grisdale Stubbs. Anne was a star pupil and gold medallist at the Birmingham School of Art. She later married Thomas Birkett.

  • The firm only lasted for a few years and was reconstituted as Jesson, Birkett & Co Ltd in 1904 when Fred Faulkner retired.

  • The firm continued to make the most exquisite copper and mixed metal inkwells, cigarette boxes and light fittings, often using older Richard Llewellyn Rathbone designs.

  • Anne G. Stubbs was clearly a key designer for the firm and her work was often illustrated in The Studio.

  • The firm tended to use either enamels or Ruskin Pottery roundels for decoration.

  • The firm wound up in 1910 and Thomas Birkett went on to work for Simplex Conduits Ltd in Birmingham.

The Birmingham Guild of Handicraft 1888-1905

  • Birmingham Guild of Handicraft was an Arts & Crafts organisation. Its motto was ‘By Hammer and Hand’.

  • Around 1888 It began as a loose part of the Birmingham Kyrle Society, then became a more fully formed group within the Kyrle Society in 1890

  • In 1895, the Guild set up as an independent workshop and limited company with the guidance of Edward R. Taylor.

  • The Guild produced furniture and metal-ware, taking special advantage of the switch to electric lighting and the consequent need for new light fittings.

  • Arthur Dixon was the chief designer and head of metalwork workshop. Other members were Albert Edward Jones and Thomas Birkett.

  • Due to commercial pressures, there was a merger with E & R Gittins in 1905

 

 

Product Code: LG321 Category: Tag:
Share

Reviews

There are no reviews yet.

Be the first to review “Attributed Jesson, Birkett & Co | Copper Arts & Crafts Hanging Lamp | England & U.S.A”

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.