Louis Janin and Charles Schneider | Twin-Arm Desk Lamp | France c.1925
A good quality wrought-iron two-branch desk lamp attributed to Louis Janin, Nancy, the base attractively designed with rose flowers and leaves, with two matching “pate-de-verre” lampshades each engraved “Schneider”. France, c.1925.
Ht.43cm/17ins; w. 35.5/14.
Verreries Schneider (Le verre Français), Epinay-sur-Seine 1913
Charles Schneider was born in Chateau-Thierry, near Paris, on 23rd February 1881.
His brother, Ernest Schneider (1877-1937), started working for Daum in 1903 as clerk. Charles had started an artistic career and was already active at Daum since 1898.
In 1913, the brothers decided to start their own business and bought a small glass factory in association with a friend Henri Wolf, at Epinay-sur-Seine.
In 1918, fire destroyed the studios at Galle and a group of artists went to Schneider’s.
Early Cameo glass in art Nouveau style is signed “Le Verre Francais” and “Charder” pseudonym for Charles Schneider
Pate-de-verre and art deco glass is signed simply “Schneider”