Attributed John Walsh Walsh | Cast Brass 3-Branch Ceiling Light | England c.1905
An Edwardian cast-brass three-branch electrolier, with the original good quality chain for suspension marked “Cash’s Patent” and dated 1904. Each arm supports an engraved vaseline-glass lampshade attributed to John Walsh Walsh. England, c1905.
Ht. 51cm/20ins; w.(twice radius) 53/21.
Stourbridge Glass, Birmingham
Thomas Webb & Sons, Henry G. Richardson & Sons, Stevens & Williams, John Walsh Walsh
The industry was established at the beginning of the 17th century by glass-makers from Lorraine in north-eastern France
The industry grew and evolved for the next 275 years and glass from Wordsley, Amblecote and Brierley Hill is recognised as amongst the finest in the world
Birmingham Lighting designers such as Best & Lloyd, Faraday & Sons, Osler & Co, James Hinks & Son and Messenger & Sons employ the Stourbridge factories to produce the glass-ware for their lights.
Mostly it is impossible to say which firm produced a particular lampshade but some patterns were registered/catalogued and can therefore occasionally be attributed.