F & C Osler, Birmingham | 6 Ensuite Art Nouveau Wall lights | England c.1905
£2,595.00 – £3,595.00
Two sets of 3 twin-arm art nouveau brass twin-arm wall lights, each backplate stamped “Osler”. England c1905 (6 wall lights in total)
Set 1: suspending pendant the original knopped vaseline-glass lampshade and shade carrier.
Ht. 42cm/16.5in, Dpth.36/14, W.34/13.5
Set 2: suspending pendant good quality period vaseline-glass lampshades with replacement shade carriers.
Ht.30cm/12in, Dpth.36/14, W.38/15
F & C Osler, Birmingham & London
The company Osler was established in Birmingham, 1807 by Thomas Osler
The business really began functioning in 1831 when his sons Abraham Follett & Thomas Clarkson took over and the company.
Specialising in crystal glass chandeliers they opened a showroom filled with the best stock on Oxford Street.
In the latter half of the 19th century Osler found success in India due to the countries wealth and efficient shipping links.
The name F & C Osler was first recognised on 14th July 1906 when the children and grandchildren of Follett and Clarkson became the first directors.
From 1911 the demand for simple clean pieces of glass was lost, however the demand for light fittings made entirely of metal was flourishing.
This coincided nicely with the opportunity to acquire a lighting company named Faraday & Son Ltd in 1919 and the company became Osler & Faraday Ltd.