James Hinks & James Powell | Art Nouveau Cast Brass Wall Lights | England c.1905
An impressive pair of cast brass art nouveau wall lights by James Hinks & Son, each with a good vaseline-glass lampshade by James Powell & Sons of Whitefriars glass, England c.1905.
James Hinks & Son, Birmingham 1865-1925
- The Foundation of Hinks success was the invention of the Duplex Oil Burner in 1865
- Hinks duplex burners were supplied to lampmakers word-wide including Tiffany
- By 1907 Hinks is producing his own range of Art Nouveau lighting at Great Hampton Street & Hockley Street, Birmingham
- James Hinks and Son only survived briefly into the new era and was taken over by Falk Stadelmann in 1925
Whitefriars Glass Company, London
James Powell & Sons
In 1834 James Powell, then a 60-year-old London wine merchant and entrepreneur, purchased the Whitefriars Glass Company, a small glass-works off Fleet Street in London.
Powell, and his sons Arthur and Nathanael, were newcomers to glass making, but soon acquired the necessary expertise and specialised in making church stain glass windows.
During the latter part of the c.19th, the firm formed a close association with leading architects and designers. Whitefriars produced the glass that Phillip Webb used in his designs for William Morris
By 1900 production lines of vaseline and opalescent glass-ware, including lampshades, were proving to be extremely successful with clients such as William Arthur Smith Benson using their glass in the design of their lights.
The firm’s name was changed to Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd in 1919