Shop

Attributed F & C Osler | Cut-Glass Edwardian Plafonnier | England c.1910

A very good quality hobnail cut-glass hanging lamp of deeply domed form, terminating with a glass finial, with original ormolu framework and fitments for suspension.  Attributed to F & C Osler due to well known rope twist detailing but apparently unsigned, England, c1920

Diam 36cm/14  Dpth. (bowl) 24/9.5 Ht (as displayed) 71/28

F & C Osler, Birmingham & London

  • The company Osler was established in Birmingham, 1807 by Thomas Osler

  • The business really began functioning in 1831 when his sons Abraham Follett & Thomas Clarkson took over and the company.

  • Specialising in crystal glass chandeliers they opened a showroom filled with the best stock on Oxford Street.

  • In the latter half of the 19th century Osler found success in India due to the countries wealth and efficient shipping links.

  •  The name F & C Osler was first recognised on 14th July 1906 when the children and grandchildren of Follett and Clarkson became the first directors.

  • From 1911 the demand for simple clean pieces of glass was lost, however the demand for light fittings made entirely of metal was flourishing.

  • This coincided nicely with the opportunity to acquire a lighting company named Faraday & Son Ltd in 1919 and the company became Osler & Faraday Ltd.

Product Code: JAL063 Category: Tag:
Share

Reviews

There are no reviews yet.

Be the first to review “Attributed F & C Osler | Cut-Glass Edwardian Plafonnier | England c.1910”

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.