Shop

Birmingham Guild of Handicraft | Copper Arts & Crafts Hanging Lamp | England c.1905

£1,395.00

A small hammered and oxidised-brass arts and crafts hanging lamp inthe style of and possibly by The Birmingham Guid of Handicraft, each arm supporting pendant an iridescent glass “lilypad” lampshade applied with trailing glass threads. One shade signed Quezal. U.S.A. and England, c. 1905.

Click Here for Video of Light

Ht.56cm/22ins; w.51/20.

The Birmingham Guild of Handicraft 1888-1905

  • Birmingham Guild of Handicraft was an Arts & Crafts organisation. Its motto was ‘By Hammer and Hand’.

  • Around 1888 It began as a loose part of the Birmingham Kyrle Society, then became a more fully formed group within the Kyrle Society in 1890

  • In 1895, the Guild set up as an independent workshop and limited company with the guidance of Edward R. Taylor.

  • The Guild produced furniture and metal-ware, taking special advantage of the switch to electric lighting and the consequent need for new light fittings.

  • Arthur Dixon was the chief designer and head of metalwork workshop. Other members were Albert Edward Jones and Thomas Birkett.

  • Due to commercial pressures, there was a merger with E & R Gittins in 1905

 

 

Share

Reviews

There are no reviews yet.

Be the first to review “Birmingham Guild of Handicraft | Copper Arts & Crafts Hanging Lamp | England c.1905”

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.