Style of Faulkner Bronze Co. | Arts & Crafts Wall Light | As Found

£795.00

A brass and copper-plated arts and crafts wall light of elaborate organic form and in the style of Faulkner Bronze co. Designed with heart motifs and supporting pendant a vaseline glass lampshade probably made by John Walsh Walsh. Tracees of copper pating to brass, slight tear to metalwork in 2 places (see photos)

Ht.9overall)48cm/19in, Dpth.23/9, w.(backplate)20/8, Ht.(shade)15/6

Faulkner Bronze Company/ Jesson, Birkett & Co. Ltd

1901-1910

  • The Faulkner Bronze Company was formed in 1901 by the Directors, Fred. G. Faulkner, Thomas Birkett and Arthur. G. Jesson based in Tenby Street, Birmingham. 

  • The firm produced light fittings, copper wares and Loetz style glass wares enclosed in copper under the “Cobral Ware” mark, a process they patented in 1901.

  • Thomas Birkett was a former member of the Birmingham Guild of handicraft and he was joined at Faulkner Bronze Company by other former Guildsmen, John Webster and A. E. Williams.

  • Also at Faulkner Bronze was Spencer Humphrey, known for his repousse work, and designers, Bert Harvey and Anne Grisdale Stubbs. Anne was a star pupil and gold medallist at the Birmingham School of Art. She later married Thomas Birkett.

  • The firm only lasted for a few years and was reconstituted as Jesson, Birkett & Co Ltd in 1904 when Fred Faulkner retired.

  • The firm continued to make the most exquisite copper and mixed metal inkwells, cigarette boxes and light fittings, often using older Richard Llewellyn Rathbone designs.

  • Anne G. Stubbs was clearly a key designer for the firm and her work was often illustrated in The Studio.

  • The firm tended to use either enamels or Ruskin Pottery roundels for decoration.

  • The firm wound up in 1910 and Thomas Birkett went on to work for Simplex Conduits Ltd in Birmingham.

Product Code: LG606VAS72 Categories: , Tag:
Share