Style of Jesson, Birkett & Co (Faulkner Bronze Co.) | 4 Arts & Crafts Hall Lanterns | England c.1900
£1,195.00 – £1,395.00
A set of 4 exceptional hand-crafted and riveted arts and crafts hall lanterns in the manner of Jesson Birkett & Co (The Faulkner Bronze Co.) England c.1900
N.B: Available to buy as 2 seperate pairs
Pair 1: Hang suspended with original chain and replacement bronze ceiling rose and set with the original mottled glass panels.
Ht.(as displayed)84cm/33in, Ht.(lantern)30/12, W.20/8
Pair 2: Hang pendant on flex with replacement bronze ceiling rose and replacement clear glass panels
Ht.(as displayed)110/39 , Ht.(lantern)30/12, W.20/8
Faulkner Bronze Company/ Jesson, Birkett & Co. Ltd
The Faulkner Bronze Company was formed in 1901 by the Directors, Fred. G. Faulkner, Thomas Birkett and Arthur. G. Jesson based in Tenby Street, Birmingham.
The firm produced light fittings, copper wares and Loetz style glass wares enclosed in copper under the “Cobral Ware” mark, a process they patented in 1901.
Thomas Birkett was a former member of the Birmingham Guild of handicraft and he was joined at Faulkner Bronze Company by other former Guildsmen, John Webster and A. E. Williams.
Also at Faulkner Bronze was Spencer Humphrey, known for his repousse work, and designers, Bert Harvey and Anne Grisdale Stubbs. Anne was a star pupil and gold medallist at the Birmingham School of Art. She later married Thomas Birkett.
The firm only lasted for a few years and was reconstituted as Jesson, Birkett & Co Ltd in 1904 when Fred Faulkner retired.
The firm continued to make the most exquisite copper and mixed metal inkwells, cigarette boxes and light fittings, often using older Richard Llewellyn Rathbone designs.
Anne G. Stubbs was clearly a key designer for the firm and her work was often illustrated in The Studio.
The firm tended to use either enamels or Ruskin Pottery roundels for decoration.
The firm wound up in 1910 and Thomas Birkett went on to work for Simplex Conduits Ltd in Birmingham.