Style of The Birmingham Guild of Handicraft | Arts & Crafts Electrolier | England c.1900
A brass 3 branch electrolier very much in the robust style of The Birmingham Guild of Handicraft with flex rings to each arm commonly used by the company when designing their lights. The metalwork heavily pitted and distressed and most probably a design feature (see pictures). The light now hangs pendant 3 original satin & acid-etched lampshades. England c.1900
Ht.(as displayed) 90cm/36in, Ht.(min)66/26, W.38/15
The Birmingham Guild of Handicraft 1888-1905
- Birmingham Guild of Handicraft was an Arts & Crafts organisation. Its motto was ‘By Hammer and Hand’.
- Around 1888 It began as a loose part of the Birmingham Kyrle Society, then became a more fully formed group within the Kyrle Society in 1890
- In 1895, the Guild set up as an independent workshop and limited company with the guidance of Edward R. Taylor.
- The Guild produced furniture and metal-ware, taking special advantage of the switch to electric lighting and the consequent need for new light fittings.
- Arthur Dixon was the chief designer and head of metalwork workshop. Other members were Albert Edward Jones and Thomas Birkett.
- Due to commercial pressures, there was a merger with E & R Gittins in 1905