The General Electric Company (G.E.C) | 2 Wall Lights | England c.1905
A pair of good quality General Electric Company twin-arm wall lights with a pendant satin glass lampshade in soft neo-classical design. England c1905
Provenance see catalogue photos 1905 PERSHORE F.4031 & Hothfield F.3869
Twin-arm: w. 49.5/19.5;depth 26/10.5.
The General Electric Company (G.E.C)
GEC had its origins in the G. Binswanger and Company, an electrical goods wholesaler established in London in the 1880s by a German-Jewish immigrant, Gustav Binswanger
1887 the company published the first electrical catalogue of its kind. The following year, the company acquired its first factory in Salford, where electric bells, telephones, ceiling roses and switches were manufactured.
In 1889 the company was expanding rapidly, opening new branches and factories and trading in ‘everything electrical’, a phrase that was to become synonymous with GEC.
In 1902, its first purpose-built factory, the Witton Engineering Works, was opened near Birmingham.
The company expanded both at home and overseas, with the establishment of agencies in Europe, Japan, Australia, South Africa, and India. It also did substantial trade with South America.