The Holophane Company | 2 Pendant “Stiletto” Prism Reflectors | England c.1900
A pair of pendant Holophane reflectors in “Stiletto” prism with original brass galleries. Both lampshades signed “Holophane” . England c.1900
Ht.(as displayed) 81cm/32in, Ht.(shade & fit.)18/7, W.(shade)15/6
The Holophane Company, U.K, U.S.A & France
- In 1893, André Blondel invents the prismatic glass molding, on the principle of the Fresnel lens. The invention is patented under the name “Holophane” whose Greek roots mean “harmonious distribution of light”.
- In 1898, Otis Mygatt, an American businessman, buys the patent and creates two companies on each side of the Atlantic for the production and sale of Holophane products.
- Holophane Glass Co. (USA): manufacturing / sales, and Holophane Limited (UK)
- The year 1920 sees the birth of “Holophane SA” in France. The English company (Holophane Limited) joins forces with a French industrialist to create a production site and installs glassware in Les Andelys. Holophane SA is born.