The Holophane Company | Edwardian 3-Branch Ceiling Fitting | England c.1900-10
A rare and very good quality silver-plated three-branch Edwardian hanging lamp by The Holophane Company. The original central coupe in the distinctive “Blondel” prism comes signed with moulded marks “Holophane 6510” and “Blondel bowl”. The three arms each with their original shade carrier and matching satellite “pineapple” lampshade. Original period chain and ceiling hook to compliment. England, c.1900-10
Ht.(as displayed)91cm/36in, Ht.(min)60/24, Daim.48/19
The Holophane Company, UK,U.S.A & France
In 1893, André Blondel invents the prismatic glass molding, on the principle of the Fresnel lens. The invention is patented under the name “Holophane” whose Greek roots mean “harmonious distribution of light”.
In 1898, Otis Mygatt, an American businessman, buys the patent and creates two companies on each side of the Atlantic for the production and sale of Holophane products.
Holophane Glass Co. (USA): manufacturing / sales, and Holophane Limited (UK)
The year 1920 sees the birth of “Holophane SA” in France. The English company (Holophane Limited) joins forces with a French industrialist to create a production site and installs glassware in Les Andelys. Holophane SA is born.