Osler & Faraday Ltd | Cut-Glass Plafonnier | England c.1910-20
A good quality cut-glass and cast-brass hanging lamp attributed to Osler & Faraday Ltd due to recognisable design patterns but apparently unsigned. England circa 1910-20
ht.76cm/30in diam 37/13
Faraday & Son, London
- Robert Faraday was the brother of Michael Faraday the well known pioneer scientist of electromagnetics.
- Robert ran a gasfitter’s and lighting company in Wardour Street from as early as 1823
- After his father’s death his son James took over followed by his grandson Harold in 1875 when the company became known as Messrs. Faraday & Sons
- The firm’s entries for the Electric Light Fittings Exhibition in Edinburgh received a favourable review in The Art Journal of August 1890
- In 1919 F & C Osler, specialising in chandeliers, and Faraday’s merged to become Osler and Faraday Ltd, working from Wardour Street until 1925.
F & C Osler, Birmingham & London
The company Osler was established in Birmingham, 1807 by Thomas Osler
The business really began functioning in 1831 when his sons Abraham Follett & Thomas Clarkson took over and the company.
Specialising in crystal glass chandeliers they opened a showroom filled with the best stock on Oxford Street.
In the latter half of the 19th century Osler found success in India due to the countries wealth and efficient shipping links.
The name F & C Osler was first recognised on 14th July 1906 when the children and grandchildren of Follett and Clarkson became the first directors.
From 1911 the demand for simple clean pieces of glass was lost, however the demand for light fittings made entirely of metal was flourishing.
This coincided nicely with the opportunity to acquire a lighting company named Faraday & Son Ltd in 1919 and the company became Osler & Faraday Ltd.
There are no reviews yet.