The General Electric Company & John Walsh Walsh | Brass “Rise & Fall” Hanging Lamp | England c.1905
A good quality brass two arm “rise and fall” dining table hanging light by The General Electric Company in a traditional soft art nouveau style, complimented with a pair of original vaseline-glass lampshades engraved in the registered design of swags and bows produced by John Walsh Walsh. England, c.1905.
Provenance: see catalogue photos for both G.E.C light and Walsh Walsh Lampshade pattern
Ht.(as displayed)100cm/40in, W.64/25
The General Electric Company (G.E.C)
- GEC had its origins in the G. Binswanger and Company, an electrical goods wholesaler established in London in the 1880s by a German-Jewish immigrant, Gustav Binswanger
- 1887 the company published the first electrical catalogue of its kind. The following year, the company acquired its first factory in Salford, where electric bells, telephones, ceiling roses and switches were manufactured.
- In 1889 the company was expanding rapidly, opening new branches and factories and trading in ‘everything electrical’, a phrase that was to become synonymous with GEC.
- In 1893, it decided to invest in the manufacture of lamps. The company was to lead the way in lamp design, and the burgeoning demand for electric lighting was to make GEC’s fortune.
- In 1902, its first purpose-built factory, the Witton Engineering Works, was opened near Birmingham.
- The company expanded both at home and overseas, with the establishment of agencies in Europe, Japan, Australia, South Africa, and India. It also did substantial trade with South America.
Stourbridge Glass, Birmingham
Thomas Webb & Sons, Henry G. Richardson & Sons, Stevens & Williams, John Walsh Walsh
The industry was established at the beginning of the 17th century by glass-makers from Lorraine in north-eastern France
The industry grew and evolved for the next 275 years and glass from Wordsley, Amblecote and Brierley Hill is recognised as amongst the finest in the world
Birmingham Lighting designers such as Best & Lloyd, Faraday & Sons, Osler & Co, James Hinks & Son and Messenger & Sons employ the Stourbridge factories to produce the glass-ware for their lights.
Mostly it is impossible to say which firm produced a particular lampshade but some patterns were registered/catalogued and can therefore occasionally be attributed.